Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chewy Ginger Snaps

'Tis the season for spice enhanced baked goods and ginger snaps are no exception.  I adore these cookies but they taste better when theres a chill in the air (or snow on the ground).

I made a batch to take to our quilting "bee" today and the gals were as much in love with them as I am.  So I  thought I would post it and share it so we all may have a little brighter Holiday.

It's not really my recipe.  It's from The Ginger People.  It's right on the can of candied ginger pieces and I'm not going to lie, they are to die for.  You will never crave a regular  ginger molasses cookie again.

Here's the link to Ginger People and what the can looks like.  I get mine randomly at TJMaxx, Home Goods, or World Market.  McCormick also has crystallized ginger at the grocery store but it is very pricey from them.  Grab a can and bake a batch.  You will thank me:-)
CHEWY GINGER SNAPS
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1    teaspoon cinnamon
2    teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened 
1   cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1  large egg
3 1/2 oz. crystallized ginger pieces 
(if you buy bigger pieces, cut them to the size of a large green pea)


Preheat oven to 375.  
Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Set aside. 
In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add molasses and egg.  Combine well.
Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Add ginger pieces.
Chill dough if desired. (I never do)
Roll into 1" balls and roll in course sugar.
Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.  Remove while soft.
Let cool.  Enjoy!!


I think they will be a new Christmas favorite.  Unless, of course, you don't like ginger.  In which case, we may not want to be friends anymore:-}

3 comments:

Erin. said...

I've already purchased my crystallized ginger and will be making these this weekend. They were delish!

Jennifer said...

I'm not going to lie those are so delicious. Gabby...sniff...sniff used to make them...you know when she used to live here. But in her absence I've thought about making them. However you can buy ginger cookies dough from The Immaculate Baking Company at Whole Foods or at Publix grocery store, right by the disgusting Tole House. They are made with real butter and the package has 24 and packet of the brown raw sugar to roll them in. They are really close to your receipt, a worthy counterfeit!

northslopegang said...

okay so where do you buy the ginger in "northern" utah?