I've wanted Plantation Shutters since we bought our home 11 years ago. They have just been far too expensive. They actually still are. To do all the windows in my house would cost over $4,000.00. Ouch! See what I mean by far too expensive. Well, I give this little synopsis to better illustrate how fantastic the story is.
Last week when I was antiquing I bough 3 shutters for 7 bucks a piece. I came home all excited wanting Dave to do his magic and make them work in my front window. He said they wouldn't work. We went the rounds on "why" and so a frustrated Dave hopped on KSL to see if he could find some that would. Bingo! As luck would have it there was an add from a shutter store that said, "fire sale". They were liquidating all shutters from jobs gone bad. And the best part: only $5 a piece. What! No way! Can this be true? Of course I perked up and made plans to be the first person there when they opened at 9.
With measurements in hand we left bright an early at 7 am. We were first there and it WAS real. No misprint. $5 per shutter. I was nearly giddy grabbing and stacking the shutters Dave measured and deemed workable. We were super lucky because we found enough shutters to do all the windows in every room. I was like a mother bear over her cubs as droves of people came to get their deal too. It was one of those sales where you have to be physically holding the merchandise or it's up for grabs. Good thing I had been in retail for 14 years! Anyway, $85 dollars later, Dave strapped down the mother load and we headed back home:)
Now the headache begins. It turns out that shutters are only half of what you need. Dave had to build frames for all the shutters and then re-trim out all the windows. Plus prime and paint all the new wood. NOT a "happy camper" that man of mine! It didn't help that I kept calling it a miracle. But Dave never lets me down. With about 6 trips to HomeDepot and another $350 in wood and supplies plus about 40 hours of sweat equity.....Their DONE and at barely over $400.00!!
Oh, happy day! They are so very beautiful. I can't believe how lucky we were to find that sale. It was a once in a lifetime deal. I really think I have used up any further "honey do" request for the rest of the year. But it was worth it and now that the projects done, Dave thinks so too.
I'm a poor photographer! But here are a few pictures. It made such a difference on my main floor. Especially on the North side where we don't get as much light.
They made the biggest difference in the family room. I have always hated this room because it is narrow and dark (North side). Now it is bright and sunny:)




8 comments:
Do you want to switch houses?? Yours is so beautiful! I'm sure you are ready to start over and make mine that way. :) The shutters are beautiful!! We've had them priced out too, I can't believe you did it all for so cheap!! You're amazing!!
Wow, you guys are fast. They look so beautiful! Seriously, so awesome. I told bryan all about your find and we're with you - it's definitely a miracle!
Woohoo! That was a quick project. They are so beautiful.
You know when I have a house, someday, I'm going to have to hire dad to come do all those cute things to it too!
This information would have been good to know last week. Thanks for thinking of us. Looks great.
They look beautiful in your already beautiful home. You've got quite the handyman there, and I hope you know how lucky you are...those are hard to come by these days!
Time to redecorate! Really Carolee a visit to Syracuse please. How do I decorate around the animals on the wall? They don't bother me but I'm tired of the same look. I'm so serious!!!! Remember the last time you came over? Yeah like 22 years ago. It's still the same.
A-maz-ing-ly, amazing! What a wonderful deal and a great husband you had to do the project. I hope no other shoppers were injured :)! Your home looks absolutely stunning with the new shutters. Blessings,Kim
No. Way. That reall was the deal of a lifetime. I would die for some plantation shutters, but with 24 windows that's not happening anytime soon! Yours look wonderful! I'm so envious of the steal you got. Great, great job!
Post a Comment