Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dare to paint

Reclaimed, recycled, and reproduction furniture is all the rage right now. Each piece I have admired has been grey (of course) and a little too pricey.  So I figured since the concept is to "reuse" that that is exactly what I would do.

I have an existing sideboard that is in my little entry.  It is the perfect size and is so functional (this is where we store our shoes).  I decided to paint it grey and freshen and update it.  I got a sample paint from Restoration Hardware (charcoal) and had Home Depot mix me a quart of that exact color.  RH paint is expensive and I didn't need a whole gallon either.  I then went over the dried paint with a wax stain to give it an old worn in look.

The total cost of this project, including all my supplies was $28. You just can't beat that.  I think she turned out nicely.  When I'm sick of grey I will give her a new coat of whatever.  Maybe you have something in your home or garage that just needs a little facelift.  I say, dare to paint!  Go for it and you may have found yourself a free piece of furniture:)

BEFORE
















AFTER

































It looks a little blue here but it is more grey.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice! And of course accessorized perfectly! I made me some freezer jam this morning and I may just have to do it with my YW next week. Thanks for the post, I've put it to good use so far!

ThE McNEiLs said...

She's a beauty! That turned out awesome. I love that bird cage too! You have been busy!

One Life Many Journeys said...

I turned out perfect! I love the wax stain treatment. I must try that. I have never seen it though. Where to you get it?
Visiting from Stories Of A House.

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Love it! But, I confess those little angels in your sidebar are so yummy :)