What a gorgeous weekend! The weather was great and I had no official obligations that I was committed to. I dawdled around the house tweaking my Halloween decorations. I made my way to the yard to see if she was ready to be put to bed for fall (that seemed a little ambitious for my mood, so NO) and finally visited my much neglected garden.
Holy tomatoes! They have been green forever and I've been occupied with so many weddings that I nearly forgot about them. But right then, in the glorious sunshine, they beckoned me to pick them.
And I did.
40 lbs.!! I could not believe it. I had to do something with these beauties and what better way to celebrate the summer's best than SALSA? Ole'!
I wasn't planning on canning today so it was a bit of a scramble. Why did I waste so much time shuffling around in my pajamas this morning?
Wait a minute, I'm still in my pajamas.
I threw on some clothes and ran to Farmer Grants to get some jalapeños and sweet onions to add to the salsa. The peppers were perfect and so I bought a whole basket full - and cuz they were only $5 - and somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered in the Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook she made jalapeño poppers. So, why not, right?
I hate when I get some flicker of ambition and think I can whip something out in a few hours. By the time I really got all the things together.....canner, ingredients, food processor, gas burner set up, bottles sterilized, boiled, peeled, chopped, seeded, blah-blah-blah, it was nearly 2p.m.
And those 40 lbs of tomatoes? Well they made 36 pints and 4 quarts of salsa. Which took until about 8p.m. to finish. Whew!
Now time to make the poppers.
These are bar-none the tastiest little treats EVER. PW says make three times as many as you think you need....and she ain't a kiddn'. My family loved them. We had them for dinner and the next day for an after church snack. They are addictive to say the least! The peppers cook long and slow and are mild with a kick. And the secret ingredient?.....bacon, of course. Just plain perfection. The official recipe is in her cookbook and is worth the price of admission just for this recipe alone. Just go and get it! You need it in your arsenal anyway.
And the salsa? Turned out nicely, thanks for asking. I think we will have a winter of yummy salsa for our chips and tacos. Now that I'm done - I can say that I'm glad I put forth the effort. However, I'm officially done canning for the season:-)

4 comments:
Too right! I see you left the stems on as Ree suggested. A pic of your salsa please.
I think I'm going to move in with you...or at least invite you over for dinner - and have you bring the dinner. :)
oh YUMMY! Homemade salsa is our favorite!! Paul says we HAVE to grow all the ingredients for salsa whenever we get our house. :) HA HA Congrats on such a plentiful garden! :)
So as I'm blog stalking you, the kids see your delicious food wares. They actually accuse me of being adopted. They're perplexed as to my lack of cooking/backing abilities. What happened...Aunt Gabby can do it and obviously Aunt Carolee too! I told them that it must be a recessive gene...one that was passed down to Aunt Andee and me!
Post a Comment