Friday, May 29, 2009

WARNING! Graphic Details Ahead

For those of you who have weak constitutions just skip this one. Today I had an Ablation. What is that you ask? Well, it's where you have your uterus wall lining burnt to a crisp. And the pain. Holy $#!+. As a symptom of my pre-pre-menopause ( I'm far too young to be IN menopause) I have had heavy bleeding w/ several of those days passing chunks and clots (I warned you). My doctor recommended this as an alternative to a hysterectomy. The golden promise being that about 60% of women NEVER have a period again, and the runner up prize being very light periods. Sold. So my options were A-)in office which saves about $1,000 or B-)hospitalization with an anesthesiologist. I opted for A (we're in a recession you know). So I'm given an Ibuprofen 800, 2 Percoset, and a Valium 1 hour before procedure. Then at the office they give me some sort of muscle relaxer to additionally calm me down. I'm feeling pretty groovy and relaxed at this point. Then I get 4 cervical block shots, of which I didn't feel, so I'm thinking "Man, this is great. No big deal". Then the camera and Thermo instrument was inserted and still, no big deal. Then the 500* water was rushed in and the Thermo instument starts the scraping and BIG DEAL! The contractions were a killer. I start counting and doing my Lamas that I haven't practiced for over 14 years, and nothing. I break out is a sweat like a marathon runner and tell the Doc "I'm done. Stop." Nothing doing. I want this to work don't I? Well after about a 5 min. procedure they cool things down and I'm done. I get a few pats on the back and "a job well done" and I'm sent home w/ some more pain killers and Ibuprofen. That's when round 2 kicks in. The cramping is like stage 9 labor and I want to die. More pain pill please!! However, now that it has been 12 hours it just feels like regular period cramps. This I can handle. I hope to be back to myself by the end of the weekend and I really hope to never have a period again. If you think about this for yourself, my advise: be knocked out. Anesthesiologist!!

4 comments:

Vickie said...

So glad you are done with that. Rest up this weekend. Hot water burn baby!
vickie

Unknown said...

Wow, just reading that was intense - I almost started cramping myself. Hope you are back to 100% soon!

Erin. said...

Okay, I'll say it for everyone....YUCK....too many details for me. Although, I will say that I envy the period thing. Curse of death for me. Glad you're on the mend!

Carolee said...

I told ya it was graphic. The truth hurts, literally!