Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book Review -

Winter is the perfect time to read. O.K., anytime is the perfect time to read. But winter is when we are shut indoors more and therefore, affords more opportunities to read. I just finished another book by Khaled Hosseini A Thousand Splendid Suns and once again I'm blown away. It is a deeper and more complex look at life in Afghanistan (compared to The Kite Runner)with the graphic images of years of war, a country divided and ripped apart, along with the insane amount of abuses to women. I, for one, am grateful to be an American citizen! I really liked it and would recommend it to readers 16+ ( a little too graphic for Kenadee ). Now I need a new book. Any recommendations?


p.s. Finally saw the movie
The Kite Runner and as I suspected, the book is better, duh! I give it an OK, but not great.

1 comment:

Nannette York said...

Hey Carolee have you ever read the Kingsolver Books? I recommend " The Bean Tree" and then the sequel to it " Pigs in Heaven" by Barbara Kingsolver Funny names but great books. It is about a 20 something year old who is driving across the country to find a new life and when she stops at a dinner someone gives her a Native American toddler. The child has been abused and the woman who dumped the baby on Taylor was trying to save her. It will pull your heart strings. I love to read so I will try your Hosseine books thanks! Nan