Wednesday, June 15, 2011

PiOneEr TrEk ApRon

Kenadee has a Pioneer Trek that she leaves for in the morning and of course, I wait until the last minute to get things ready.  I have 'trek' clothing from a previous one that I went on years ago so I wasn't too concerned.  But she needed an apron to spruce up that drab wardrobe.  Hmmm.  How hard can it be, right? I've got material (not to mention that new fan-dangled sewing machine) so I got this whim to throw together an apron. 

Today I learned two things about myself:
 1-)  My sewing attention span is 4 hours - max.
 2-) It's a good idea to have a pattern.

How do I know this?  Because I had no pattern and this dang apron took, well, 4 hours!

It did turn out pretty cute though, if I do say so myself. I think any prairie girl would be happy to sport such a luxurious item across the plains. (Thank you Bryn for modeling.  And, yes, it's an apron.  It only looks like a dress on a 4 year old.)



Now Kenadee just has to gear up for the walking, and walking, and walking.....I hope she holds it together. Kids these days have nowhere near the fortitude that the kids 150 years ago did.  And I'm not going to lie, neither do I.  It will be an awesome experience though.  She will be taking the same path  at Martin's Cove like the Martin and Willie companies did and pulling a handcart like the ones used they used. It is an awesome  story of courage, faith, and sacrifice, all for what we take for granted as religious freedom.  I know it will strengthen her testimony.    

4 comments:

ThE McNEiLs said...

That apron turned out SO cute! 4 hours is my max attention span for sewing too!:)
sidenote: I can not believe how bir Brynlee is. Oh my goodness! She is adorable. One lucky Marmee:)

Jennifer said...

Apron love! Amanda leaves for trek in a few days and would love this beauty for herself. Unfortunately for her she has a mom with zero sewing skills. So she was at the mercy of the gals in young womens that could. She was able to pick the fabric in the 4$ section...not a lot of choice but I liked what she chose. I'm excited for her to go and walk and walk and walk. Although I'm sure she would rather be walking in Utah (a more authentic experience) with NO HUMIDITY!

Jen said...

Super Cute! I just love Kenadee! You have raised a wonderful young woman!

Unknown said...

So fun. I have some great memories from my pioneer trek. And I bet every other girl (and leader) was coveting that apron - I know I would have been. :)