Strawberry Summer Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk (*plus 2 T to thin if necessary)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
2-3 Tablespoon Demerara sugar (coarse) for top
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 or 10-inch pie pan or springform pan (what I used)
Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth. *Can thin with extra milk if necessary. Should be consistency of muffin batter or thick cake batter.*
Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle Demerara sugar over berries.
Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about another 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with lightly whipped cream.
Perfect whipped cream
1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
½ c. Cream Cheese
½ c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat cream cheese and sugar until soft and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add cold Heavy Cream and whip until thick and almost forming peaks. Eat with a spoon…I mean, top your favorite dessert and enjoy!

2 comments:
My mouth is watering already! The whipped cream with the cream cheese isn't something I've tried before...but it sounds delicious. I'm on the hook for Gabby's almond cookies with apricot preserves in the middle for Sunday. So I'm thinking this would make a delicious mid-week treat. My mouth thanks you but my butt is a little discouraged;(
I'm definitely trying both of these recipes - thanks for sharing. Perfect whipped cream, here I come!
Post a Comment