I love Dutch Ovens. Not the dirty black cast iron ones you use for camping, but the colorful enamel coated ones.
Last year I bought a couple of the Lodge brand (you can get them at WalMart) and I have really enjoyed cooking in them. They cook food perfectly. And I'm not even kidding. But I always coveted the Le Creuset line at Williams-Sonoma. They just have always been out of my price range, so Lodge it was....until now.
Bargain shopping pays off! In my frequent (OK, very frequent) trips to TJMaxx, I came across the mother of all deals: Le Crueset. There they set looking at me in all their colorful glory. Can it be? Why, yes. I scored big time I tell ya.
Of course I didn't need Dutch Ovens. I had two perfectly good ones at home. But, Le Creuset, can I pass this up? No. So,I justified the purchase by giving them to my daughter and daughter-in-law. After all, everyone needs a Dutch Oven, right? And who could pass up the chance to get Le Creuset at outlet prices? Not me!
I went a little crazy. I bought 2 yellow 5 1/2 quart Dutch Ovens and 2 red 5 quart Braisers. But the investment was well worth it. I will use these pans until the day I die.
If you don't have a Dutch Oven. Get one! All brands do basically the same thing. Lodge has a great one which you can pick up at WalMart for under $70. They are so worth it. You will feel like Julia Child every time you cook in them. In fact, other than a frying pan, I do most of my cooking in them.
Throw in a 5-6 lb. roast with some veggies. Turn on your oven to 295* and walk away. In less than four hours you have a melt-in-your-mouth meal. Its faster than a crockpot and tastes a whole lot better!
3 comments:
Some people just have all the luck.
I was in TJ Max yesterday and I saw the large one in a black/charcoal color. I've thought about it all day and I think it's time to take the plunge. Do you ever cook a whole chicken in it?
absolutely!! you can cook anything in them. even a cake. look up LeCreuset.com they have videos on how they are made etc. and did I mention they are from FRANCE? So Julia:-)
Post a Comment