Friday, September 24, 2010

Fall = Pumpkin

I can not embrace fall [well, I can, I just don't like too] until I have whipped up a batch of these little darlings.  And with the colors of the leaves changing (at least in the mountains) and the nip in the morning air, a pumpkin chocolate chip cupcake hits the spot.  I make them every year.....multiple times. I made them earlier this week and they are already gone.  Time to make more:-0  Enjoy!                                                                                   

CUPCAKES:
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 can 150z. pure pumpkin
2 cups (whole bag) of semi-sweet chocolate chips

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
4-6 cups powdered sugar
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
4 Tbs butter, softened
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
Milk to thin if desired
 *dash of cinnamon on top:-)

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. and line two 12 cup muffin pans with baking cups.

2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, stir oil and sugar together. Whisk in eggs, and stir in vanilla extract.

4. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir pumpkin into the batter until it is thoroughly combined. Add chocolate chips and combine.

5. Spoon batter into lined muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Less time will be needed if you are making mini-cupcakes. When cupcakes are removed from oven, let them sit for about 10 minutes, then remove them to cool completely on a wire rack.

6. Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese frosting: In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add lemon juice.  Add in powdered sugar 1 c. at a time until desired consistency.  Can thin with milk if necessary. 

Yield: 24 regular-sized or 48 mini cupcakes

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel a cooking episode coming on! Those look Delicious. And hey with the pumpkin in them, I might be able to count them as a veggie at dinner!

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering already! Definitely have to try these.